2009.09.12 GRAYS PEAK: DAD'S 1ST FOURTEENER

While Grays Peak is generally considered among the least challenging of the Colorado 14ers, this trip was very special to me but also confirmed my often said words: "There's no such thing as an easy 14er."
The journey up this mountain started in March of 2007 when my father, Rudy, was diagnosed with prostate cancer at the age of 60. During that time, I continued climbing mountains in Colorado and also Russia's Mount Elbrus (the highest peak in Europe at ~18,500 feet) while carrying thoughts and prayers of my dad. Unknown to me, Dad personally vowed to climb a mountain with me when he recovered. Surgery and treatment followed in July of that same year, and to this day there have been no signs of the cancer's return.
Fast-forward to 2009 and Dad's visit to Colorado. In between driving cross country with a truck full of furniture/household items and watching my brother and I play baseball on the same team for the first time, Dad also wanted to go for a hike. I was quite surprised when he admitted that he wanted to do "one of those 14-things". I was a bit hesitant since I feared he was underestimating the challenge, but I obliged that we would at least try. So on Saturday morning, Dad (a 62 year old, beer-drinker, flat-lander with no high-altitude hiking experience) and I (a 28 year old with over sixty 14er summits who spends most weekends above 10,000 feet) set off to climb Grays Peak - 14,267 feet.
Dad, Devon and I in the early morning:
Dad and I hiking in front of Torreys Peak with clouds rising from the valley (Photo - Devon S):
Dad with Kelso Mountain enclosed in clouds:
Wispy clouds were building and rising from the valley throughout the morning and the temperatures turned colder as snow started to fall as we approached 13,000 feet. However, the winds so characteristic of the Continental Divide were virtually absent. Despite slow progress, worsening conditions, and my concerns, Dad was motivated to push on.
Encountering our first patch of snow around 13,000 feet (Photo - Devon S):
Dad approaching the summit throughout the snow and clouds:
Success! Dad and I atop the chilly summit of Grays Peak - 14,267 feet:
Our celebration time on the summit was cut short due to cold temperatures, accumulating snow, and the need to start descending quickly. Near white-out conditions persisted until we passed below 13,000 feet. Dad battled sore knees and fatigued legs all the way down while I tried to keep him moving to avoid getting caught in developing thunderstorms.
Dad taking one of his "little breaks" on the descent:
We finally arrived back to the trailhead at 5:15 pm, 10.5 hours after we had left in the morning. Although the day took much longer than expected, I was still incredibly impressed with Dad's perseverance and good-spirits in dealing with the less than ideal conditions. Furthermore, I took great pleasure insharing the beautiful high-alpine environment and mountains of Colorado with my dad.
We would later learn that Grays Peak is named after Asa Gray, a 19th century botanist and advocate of Darwin's theory of evolution. Interestingly, Asa Gray visited and climbed his namesake peak in 1872 at the age of 62. Therefore, totally by chance, it seemed appropriate that Dad completed his quest on the same peak at the same age.
Congratulations Dad! You Made It! Always remember:
"Whether it be climbing the mountain or fighting cancer, you can only look forward to the next step you have to take. Sometimes it seems too overwhelming to consider the obstacle as a whole, but by taking it slowly and only focusing on what you can at that moment, it slowly becomes more manageable. Whether it be moving a few inches up the mountain with each step, or being optimistic and enjoying each day, you’ll eventually find yourself where you want to be."

No comments:

Post a Comment