2009.02.14 - The Defending World Ph*cking Champions

Baseball is back!........well almost. Pitchers and catchers report today as the World Champion Philadelphia Phillies get ready to defend their title. Baseball is far and away my favorite sport.....to play, watch, talk about, analyze, etc. There's a multitude of reasons that I love baseball, probably because I've played the game my entire life and appreciate the small nuasances and strategy that goes into every pitch. Baseball has also been a large part of my family and it dominates my childhood. Some of the fondest, strongest memories of my youth revolved around baseball including:
  • Fielding an endless supply of balls hit by my Grandparents
  • My Grandmother's love of Pete Rose because he didn't put on a show, he just played the game
  • Breaking my wrist while running down the hills in Williamsport PA, home of the Little League World Series
  • Attending Phillies games with my Mom, Dad, and brother including the 1993 World Series
  • Playing on the legendary Doubleday Field in Cooperstown, NY

Baseball is the best because you always have to get that last out. There’s no clock to run down. You can’t kneel. You bleed time off. In baseball, the other team always gets a last chance at you. And you have to stop them for the damn thing to finally be over.....The existence of the clock means that certain leads are insurmountable. But not baseball. In baseball, leads are ALWAYS surmountable. So you can’t rest until that last out.....So when that final out comes, what it does is provide a single unified moment of pure, shared ecstasy. Everyone explodes together, in that one instant. And that’s why that moment is forever.

I know that I'll never forget the final pitches thrown by Tug McGraw, Mitch Williams, or Brad Lidge! I just simply love baseball!

And HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY BRIDGET!

No comments:

Post a Comment