2010.03.17 THE DOCTOR IS IN

Nearly six years after moving to Colorado and entering into the Toxicology graduate program at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center (as it was known then), the day finally came to showcase and defend my work. The last few days were spent finalizing my presentation and cramming in some last-minute studying for any possible question that I could be asked.
Flyers around school for my thesis defense:
Despite some initial jitters, I went through my 1 hour seminar without much trouble since I've presented my work in various formats more than a dozen times already. I also fielded some difficult, yet expected, questions following my seminar. However, the real fun was only just beginning. Following my seminar, I entered into my thesis defense with only the five faculty members who would determine my fate. While scheduled for two hours, the tough questions ceased after only 40 minutes when I was asked to step out of the room as they deliberated. Although I couldn't address all the questions and I was stumped on a few occasions, I thought that the defense went well and I was feeling very confident. Only afterwards did I realize that maybe it was a bit more difficult than I initially thought. However, my advisor (Dr. Manisha Patel) soon emerged with a smile, handshake, and 'congratulations, doctor'. I was ecstatic and received more congratulations before the meeting adjourned. In the end, I passed the final hurdle in achieving my Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) in Toxicology and can now be referred to as Dr. Derek Drechsel.
Sunny, spring weather and St. Patrick's Day made for a perfect setting as I relaxed, celebrated and enjoyed the afternoon/evening with family, friends, and co-workers at the Bull & Bush in Cherry Creek. However, my work is certainly not finished yet. I still have do make a few changes to my written thesis before having it published, perform some further experiments to address some revisions for a manuscript, and tie up some loose ends before leaving the lab.
As for my future endeavors, the first order of business is the much anticipated trip to Alaska for some ski mountaineering in mid-April. Then, I'll have to make the decision as to where to go next. I anticipate moving away from Colorado to pursue an academic post-doc and Oregon seems the likely destination at this time. However, who knows how things may change in the coming months.
During my presentation, I was able to thank some people personally who have supported me throughout my graduate career and entire life:
My family, some of whom made it to my thesis defense and others who will be present at my graduation in May:
A fantastic group of friends, who have fostered my love for the Colorado outdoors:
And Devon, who has shown unbelievably patience and understanding over the past years. With whom I can't wait to share more adventures in the future:

1 comment:

  1. D, this video is awesome. can you feel da love? Damn, good thing i wasn't there, there wasn't any more room. Congrat's

    ReplyDelete