2010.03.27 BIRTHDAY TURNS

There's almost nothing that I enjoy more than skiing, so I feel fortunate each year when I can make some turns on my birthday in late March. Add in some fresh snow and the day becomes even more special. Last year in Utah was probably one of the better celebrations as two storms each dropped 15+ inches during a four-day weekend. This year, another storm lined up to hit Colorado on my birthday, and even though the snow totals were only 5-8", the skiing was still good. Devon and I ventured into the mountains to explore the Dry Gulch area, just east of the Continental Divide, not far removed from I-70.
Devon skinning up Dry Gulch:
Devon and I, taking a short rest while changing over to ski mode:
Devon carves smooth tele-turns in the powder:
Playing around with photo-editing software, sometimes makes for cool pictures like this one (Photo - Devon S.):
And sometimes, just one single turn can make your run, day, week, month, or even season worthwhile. Fortunately, on this day was able to experience such a turn. I came through a narrow corridor of trees a bit faster than expected and started to carve a left turn to control my speed over a small rollover. The southeast facing aspect on this roll had developed a slick surface underneath the new snow which caused me to get on edge a little more and hold my turn a little longer as I cut across the slope. The result was what I'll refer to as 'turn #29', since it occurred on my 29th birthday. It was one of those when you are suddenly submerged in white, unable to see through your goggles, causing you to hoot excitedly and smile ear-to-ear despite the snow crystals sweeping across your face. Its a moment that seems to last forever. Fortunately, Devon uniquely captured the moment on camera.
Turn #29 (Photo - Devon S.):
Unlike previous weeks where preparing for my thesis kept me away from the mountains too often that I am comfortable with, I was able to get out skiing on Sunday too. Spring weather appeared in the form of beautiful blue skies and sunshine as I enjoyed the leftover powder from the previous day's storm. I'm approaching (if this wasn't already) the last of my days at Vail, where I've been fortunate to ski so often the last few years. While I may complain sometimes about Vail for various reasons, its days like these, with great friends, that make me realize how fortunate I've been.
Ryan, Lizzie, and I in the heart of the Gore range (Photo - Joel G.):

No comments:

Post a Comment